In the XXI century we have more and more data storage capacity as a company and as individuals. Lots of important data or even memory is often stored digitally only on one device. In turn, those devices will not last forever.
Servers, storages, RAID arrays… Every data recovery company undertake the recovery of them nearly at 100% rate.
The facts unfortunately are not so promising. There are many cases in which the data recovery is not possible.
In Our Company IBM, HP, EMC, NetApp, Hitachi system engineers help the recovery engineers to make the data available again.
Owing to our enterprise environments managing engineers, we can re-establish the complete system, not only recovering the lost data. By means of expertise we can take further surveying of Data Security Risks for our Clients. The major manufacturers recommend our company.
The most common reasons causing data loss:
- Device failure – most of data loss begins with disk error, diskharged batteries, buckled capacitors, failing memory modules or RAID controllers … most of them can be dangerous by itself but the co-occurrence, lack of recognition of malfunction or improper method of recovery attempt can lead to eventual data loss.
- Lack of Services – although the corporate devices are designed for continuous (7/24 hour) operation, the continuous supervision is very important. A RAID array can provides solution in case of 1 (in some cases 2) disk failure. We met a number of cases, when the first disk has already failured month earlier, and the error of the second disk caused data loss.
- Human mistakes – We often face to damages which was caused by not properly considered works. It can be an accidentally deleted data or partition even problem solving actions which caused more trouble. Most of data loss starts with device failure and goes from bad to worse by human error.
How can they be avoided?
- Replacing devices at the reach of the planned lifecycle. It is recommended to move the business critical infrastructure to another device regardless, it is still operational. The useful life of servers and storages is 5 years and the manufacturer's warranty is insured for that period. After that we can count higher risk of failure and higher parts costs. If we have backups, the data have been stored on many other devices, and 3-4 days downtime is not a problem, than the severity of damages is decreased in case of a potential system failure.
- Making Backups and its regular recovery tests – we often face cases there are backups though, but cannot be used. Because, for example they are stored on that failured device, therefore unavailable. Other reason can be there are no backup for days or the backup files are corrupt so the recovery is not possible from saved data. So double checking of backup is very important.
- Let only professionals with expertise perform work on the devices.
There are more and more IT devices in our homes, and they take bigger part of our everyday life – and we pay less and less attention to take care of them properly. At the same time we store more and more irrecoverable informations on them. However the loss of photos our of child's first three years, may stirs the family peace.
It happens every day: dropped, felt into water, cola poured into etc. the devices rarely get away without damage. The cost of data recovery from a mechanically damaged device is a multiple of the price of a new device.
Unfortunately, the problem may also occur even if we take care of the device. To ensure increased capacity there are fewer and fewer "safety margin" in drives that increases the risk of failure.
What is the conclusion? Store important data at multiple locations and check availability regulary.
If the problem has already occurred and the data is really important, contact a professional. We met a number of cases, in which the incompetent endeavour and goodwill made the problem bigger.